Caring for your jewellery
Kat Cadegan Jewellery is handcrafted with love and as such requires the proper care and attention. Wearing your pieces regularly is one of the best ways to prevent tarnishing. When you are not wearing your jewellery, it is important to keep each piece individually stored in a plastic bag to reduce oxidation. Over time- air pollutants, dust, perspiration, perfumes, and other natural elements can dull the lustre of metals and gemstones. We recommend using a soft polishing cloth to polish your pieces. Using a soft bristle tooth brush with warm soapy water will help to remove any residues that build up on the metal. If your jewellery has a matte finish, you may also use baking soda to help remove any residue.
If you don’t have a polishing cloth, they are available on our website under 'accessories'
The following guidelines will help you to maintain your jewellery in its original condition.
- Remove your jewellery prior to applying perfumes, lotions, or chemicals such as sunscreen.
- Remove your jewellery prior to physical activity to avoid unnecessary stress or friction.
- Remove jewelry before sleep.
- Remove jewelry before swimming in chlorinated pools or hot tubs to avoid tarnishing and discolouration.
- Do not clean oxidized (blackened ) or patina (blue) Kat Cadegan jewellery with silver jewelry cleanser or cleaning solutions with abrasives or ammonia, as harsh chemicals will remove any blackened/patina finish.
- To remove oils and dirt, wipe your jewelry with a clean, soft cloth before returning it to storage.
- To avoid oxidization (tarnishing) and scratching, store your jewellery individually in the plastic bags the came in.